Last Revised August 15, 2014
Typical Information We Collect About You
- Contact Information (email/phone/mailing address)
- Shopping history and how you use our websites and mobile apps
- Payment information
- Location information, if you have allowed our mobile apps to do so
- Technical information about your browser and device
Key Ways We Use Your Information
- Fulfill your order and provide customer service
- Send you promotions and offers
- Improve and personalize your shopping experience
- Protect the security of our website, apps and business
We Share Your Information With
- Other Gap Inc. brands
- For Athleta customers only, we share your mailing address and shopping history with other catalog companies
- Other third parties as described below
- To opt out of receiving marketing via:
- To request your Athleta customer information not be shared with other catalog companies contact Athleta Customer Service
- To make choices about targeted online advertising please go here
Questions about Privacy?
Please contact us here
This policy describes the personal information Gap Inc. and our brands, which include but are not limited to Gap, Banana Republic, Old Navy, Gap Outlet, Banana Republic Factory Store, Piperlime, and Athleta (collectively, "Gap Inc.") collect about you, why we collect it, how we use it, and when we share it with third parties. This policy covers our US stores and online experiences including our websites and mobile apps. Our policy also describes the choices you can make about how we collect and use your information. If our information practices change, we will post an updated policy on our website. You can tell if the policy has changed by checking the revision date that appears above. If we change the policy in a material way, we will provide appropriate notice to you. You may exercise your choices about how we collect and use your information consistent with this policy at any time.
- What kind of information does Gap Inc. collect?
- How does Gap Inc. use my information?
- Does Gap Inc. share my information?
- How do I access or change my information?
- How do I make choices about receiving promotional communications?
- How do I stop receiving Athleta catalogs?
- How does Gap Inc. protect kids' privacy?
- How is my information used for behavioral or targeted advertising and what choices do I have?
- How do I know my personal information is secure?
- What is "phishing"?
- I received a suspicious email from a Gap Inc. brand regarding an order I did not place. What should I do?
- I responded to an online job posting for a Gap Inc. job that requires me to upload personal financial information. Is this part of your hiring process?
- What about links to other websites?
- How do I contact you?
- Your California Privacy Rights
What kind of information does Gap Inc. collect?
We may collect personal information from you, such as your name, email address, postal address, phone number, credit card number, gender, birthday, personal interests, etc., when you visit one of our websites or stores, install or use our mobile apps, place an order online or by phone, make an in-store purchase, save your information with us online, contact us with a question or concern, or participate in a contest, promotion, or survey. We maintain a record of your product interests and the purchases you make online, through a mobile app, or by phone and in our stores. We also collect information about the device you use to access our websites or mobile apps such as your computer's IP address, your browser type, your operating system, and other technical information. Our mobile apps may also collect information about your location if you have allowed this. We may combine all of this information with information about you that we acquire from our joint marketing partners, from unrelated third parties, and from our other brands.
How does Gap Inc. use my information?
We may use your personal information in the following ways:
- To process and fulfill your order, including to send you emails to confirm your order status and shipment
- To communicate with you and to send you information by email, postal mail, telephone, text message, or other means about our products, services, contests, and promotions, unless you have directed us not to contact you with promotional communications
- To administer and fulfill our contests and other promotions
- To help us learn more about your shopping preferences
- To help us address problems with and improve our site and mobile app design, products and services
- To enhance your shopping experience
- To analyze trends and statistics
- To protect the security or integrity of our websites, mobile apps, and our business
- To contact you if necessary
You always have the choice not to receive marketing information or calls. For instructions on opting out, please see the section entitled, "How do I make choices about receiving promotional communications?", below.
Does Gap Inc. share my information?
We may share your personal information in the following ways:
- When you provide personal information to one of our Gap Inc. brands (Gap, Banana Republic, Old Navy, Gap Outlet, Banana Republic Factory Store, Piperlime, Athleta or Intermix), we may share that information with our other Gap Inc. brands.
- If you purchase Athleta brand products through our website or by placing a catalog order by phone or mail, we may share your name, postal address, and shopping history with like-minded organizations whose privacy policies meet the Direct Marketing Association's privacy standards, for their direct mail marketing purposes. We do not share email addresses for such purposes. We also do not share personal information about customers who only browse, email comments, request a catalog, or request email updates, or who purchase only Gap, Banana Republic, Old Navy, Gap Outlet, Banana Republic Factory Store, Piperlime, or Intermix merchandise. If you would prefer that we not share information about you with other companies, please let us know by contacting Athleta customer service as described in the section entitled, "How do I contact you?", below.
- We may share your information with our service providers who manage our customer information and perform services on our behalf, such as fulfilling promotions, sending communications to our customers, conducting surveys, etc. We do not authorize any of these service providers to make any other use or disclosure of your information.
- We may share your information when we team up with another company to offer or provide products, services, contests, or promotions to our customers.
- We may share information about you if necessary, in our good faith judgment, to comply with laws or regulations or in response to a valid subpoena, order, or government request, or to protect the rights of Gap Inc. or others.
In the unlikely event of a sale or merger of Gap Inc. or any of our businesses, our customers' personal information and other information we have collected as described in this policy may be among the transferred business assets.
How do I access or change my information?
You can review and change certain personal information related to your use of our online sites (such as your name and contact information). To access your information at a Gap Inc. website, simply sign in to your account using your email address and password, and you will be able to edit your personal information in your account profile.
You can also ask us to update your personal information by contacting us as described in the section entitled, "How do I contact you?", below. Please note that any request to update your personal information may take up to 10 days for your email request and 6-8 weeks for your postal mail request.
How do I make choices about receiving promotional communications?
Gap Inc. and our brands, including Gap, Banana Republic, Old Navy, Gap Outlet, Banana Republic Factory Store, Piperlime, and Athleta, want to communicate with you only if you want to hear from us. If you prefer not to receive promotional information, such as information about special offers and sales events, from one or more of our brands, you can let us know by contacting our customer service as described in the section entitled, "How do I contact you?", below or you can click on the self-service unsubscribe links below.
If contacting customer service, please be sure to include your full name and the email address you used when you registered with or made a purchase from the Gap Inc. brand. If you ask us to remove your name and address from promotional lists, we will maintain your name in a "do not contact" file to ensure that we can honor your request. It may take up to 10 days to process your email request and 6-8 weeks to process your postal mail request, during which period you may continue to receive communications from Gap Inc.
If you change your mind, you can start receiving promotional communications from us again by logging into your online account and changing your preferences, by signing up when you visit our websites or our stores or when you enter a sweepstakes or contest, or by contacting customer service.
Please note that when you make an online purchase from us, we will continue to confirm your order status and shipment by email. We may also need to contact you via telephone, email or postal mail with questions or information regarding your order.
How do I stop receiving Athleta catalogs?
If you no longer wish to receive Athleta catalogs or wish to alert us to duplicate mailings, please contact Athleta customer service as described in the section entitled, "How do I contact you?", below. Please provide your exact name, postal address, and email address so that your request can be effectively processed. It may take up to 90 days in order for your information to be completely removed from our list.
To learn more about your rights as a consumer and to receive less national advertising mail, please visit the Direct Marketing Association at http://www.dmachoice.org/.
How does Gap Inc. protect kids' privacy?
Gap Inc. is concerned about the privacy and safety of children when they use the Internet. We will never knowingly request personally identifiable information online from anyone under the age of 13 without prior verifiable parental consent. Our websites are general audience sites and are not targeted to or intended for use by children.
Our websites use "cookies," and pixel tags and other tracking technologies, to help enable you to shop on our websites and may be used in a variety of ways to enhance or personalize your online browsing and shopping experience. These technologies may also be used to determine the ads you see on our sites and also on other sites. For information about targeted online advertising and your choices related to it please see the next section.
You can set your browser not to accept cookies or to notify you when you are sent a cookie, giving you the opportunity to decide whether or not to accept it. If you do not accept cookies, however, you will not be able to access your account information or make purchases on our websites.
These technologies may be used to collect information about your visit, including the pages you view, the features you use, the links you click, and other actions you take in connection with the sites and our online ads.
Pixel tags in our emails may be used to track your interactions with those messages, such as when you receive, open, or click a link in an email message from us.
We may combine the information we collect through these technologies with other information we have collected from and about you and use it as described in this policy.
How is my information used for behavioral or targeted advertising and what choices do I have?
We use our own cookies to help determine which of our ads are shown to you on other websites. To opt out of this targeted online advertising by Gap Inc. that utilizes our cookies, please click here.
We also work with third-party companies that use their tracking technologies (including cookies and pixel tags) on our websites in order to provide tailored advertisements on our behalf and on behalf of other advertisers across the Internet. These companies may collect information about your activity on our sites and your interaction with our advertising and other communications and use this information to determine which ads you see on third-party websites and applications. For more information about this practice and to understand your options including how to opt out of receiving these tailored advertisements, please visit http://www.aboutads.info.
Please note that even if you opt-out, these tracking technologies may still collect data and you will still see ads, but they will not be targeted based upon the information collected through these tracking technologies.
How do I know my personal information is secure?
We do our best to provide you with a safe and convenient shopping experience. We have in place certain physical, electronic, contractual, and managerial safeguards to help protect the security and privacy of your personal information.
When you enter your personal information on our websites, we use encryption technology to protect your information as it is transmitted to us.
If for any reason you cannot access the secure server, or if you're not quite comfortable shopping online at any of our websites, please feel free to place your order with us by telephone at the number listed in the section entitled, "How do I contact you?", below.
What is "phishing"?
"Phishing" is a scam designed to steal your personal information. If you receive an email that looks like it is from us asking you for your personal information, do not respond. We will never request your password, user name, credit card information or other personal information through email.
I received a suspicious email from a Gap Inc. brand regarding an order I did not place. What should I do?
We are aware of phony emails sent out under our brand names. These emails did not originate from Gap Inc., and individuals who received fraudulent order status emails have not been charged. For your protection, do not click links or open any files attached to suspicious, unsolicited emails. If you believe your personal computer has been compromised as a result of the scam, please consult an IT professional. For more information, contact the FBI's Internet Crimes Complaint Center: http://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx. We work with law enforcement on their investigations of these kinds of fraudulent emails.
I responded to an online job posting for a Gap Inc. job that requires me to upload personal financial information. Is this part of your hiring process?
No. Gap Inc. does not ask prospective job applicants for information about their bank accounts, credit history or passwords to financial accounts. If you are asked for personal financial or security information in response to a job application, this is likely a fraudulent job listing hosted by spammers posing as Gap Inc. to mislead job applicants. You can validate all Gap Inc. job postings on gapinc.com/careers. Spammers also create phony aliases such as thegap-usa.com to mimic our company and/or brand names in an effort to commit identity theft or other forms of fraud. If you receive this type of suspicious email activity, please alert the FBI's Internet Crimes Complaint Center: http://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx
What about links to other websites?
How do I contact you?
Gap Customer Services
5930 Gap Online Drive
Groveport, OH 43195-0002
1-888-906-1104 (TDD hearing impaired)
Banana Republic Customer Services
5900 North Meadows Drive
Grove City, OH 43123-8476
1-888-BR STYLE (1-888-277-8953)
1-888-906-1345 (TDD hearing impaired)
Old Navy Customer Services
200 Old Navy Lane
Grove City, OH 43123-8605
1-800-449-4253 (TDD hearing impaired)
Piperlime Customer Care
5900 Piperlime Lane
Grove City, OH 43123
1-888-906-1345 (TDD hearing impaired)
Athleta Customer Services
5900 North Meadows Drive
Grove City, OH 43123
1-888-906-1345 (TDD hearing impaired)
Your California Privacy Rights
California Civil Code Section 1798.83 permits customers of Gap Inc. who are California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please write to us at the following address:
Gap Inc. - California Privacy Rights
2 Folsom Street
San Francisco, CA 94105